Greenlight Planet is a social, for-profit business that designs, distributes, and finances solar-powered home energy products, with an underserved population in mind: the 1.3 billion global consumers for whom the old-fashioned electrical grid is either unavailable or too expensive.
Over a decade in business, the company is now a leading global brand in emerging markets across Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa. Greenlight’s Sun King™ products provide modern light and energy to 30 million people in more than 60 countries.
From the company’s wide range of trusted Sun King™ solar lamps and home energy systems, to its innovative distribution partnerships, to its EasyBuy™ pay-as-you-go consumer financing model, Greenlight Planet continuously strives to meet the evolving needs of the off-grid market.
Greenlight stays in touch with underserved consumers’ needs in part by operating its own direct-to-consumer sales network, including thousands of trusted sales agents in local communities. But to reach most consumers, Greenlight partners with hundreds of of last-mile distribution companies, ranging from small retail wholesalers, to the world’s largest micro-finance institutions, mobile network operators, and energy companies.
Today, with over 900 full-time employees in 11 countries, we remain continuously impressed at how each new team member contributes unique and innovative solutions to the global off-grid challenge, from new product designs, to better training strategies, to more efficient logistical and after-sales service systems. We listen closely to each other to improve our products, our service, and ultimately, the lives of underserved consumers.
How Sun King EasyBuy Products Work
Sun King Energy Officers (or the Field Agents) are tasked to visit their communities and household (Door-to-Door) to demonstrate and sell Sun King EasyBuy Solar Products, every day. Customers can purchase a Sun King EasyBuy Solar Home Systems and other products from the Energy Officers, by making a small down-payment and agreeing to pay the remainder of the amount in installments over a pre-agreed period of time. Energy Officers are also responsible to ensure that the Customers make the payment to Greenlight Planet, using the multiple available avenues that Greenlight Planet makes available to them.
Customers make small, affordable periodic payments (at a standard daily rates established & pre-agreed for each product) to purchase light for a number of days. Their solar products will turn off automatically once the amount they have paid for, is exhausted until another recharge is done. Once the product is fully paid off, it is unlocked and customers can enjoy unlimited access to the product without any further payments. The Area Business Manager is accountable for establishing and growing the channel of Energy Officers and ensuring that the units are sold and the money paid.
The Role & Opportunity
The Business Analyst, Process Excellence, will have a leading role in helping to reshape critical business process across the organization.
They will join at the ground floor of a new team with an ambitious agenda to deliver change performance improvement across critical business functions like Sales, Operations, Training Depts, Call Centres, HR, etc. They will report to the Process Excellence Leader a former Strategy Consultant at Bain & Company, and Program Manager at One Acre Fund. They will benefit from world class professional development opportunities and get unparalleled exposure across a Solar Company delivering live changing products to customers across Africa and Asia.
- Business Process Analysis: Conduct analysis of existing business processes & systems through observation, interviews, data analysis, etc. Summarize and succinctly present findings to your supervisor and other leaders in Greenlight Planet
- Process design, redesign and vetting: Work with your supervisor and project sponsors to design critical business processes that deliver increased revenue, reduce cost, or qualitative improvements like customer satisfaction. Design processes with strong controls and KPI measurement.
- Pilot and/or lead scale implementation of new processes & systems: Work with project sponsors to prototype new processes or business improvements; project manage for successful implementation; collect data & feedback on performance; roll-out changes to all country operations.
- Prepare client ready documentation: Prepare crisp and polished documentation of new systems including process documents, reporting dashboards [excel, looker, BI etc.] training materials, presentations etc.
- Training: Conduct trainings with junior, and senior field and office based staff members transferring knowledge and excellent implementation of new processes
- Field Visits: Conduct field visits with EB operations across West Africa
- Any other business: Any other business as assigned by your supervisor
The ideal candidate has:
- Top marks at a top 5 Regional or Globally recognized University with a degree in commerce, engineering, sciences, education or other relevant discipline.
- Advanced degree is welcome
- 2+ years experience in an strategy or operational consulting role from a top regional or global consulting firm or business.
- 1+ years experience in project management
- 1+ years experience training teams
- Highly analytical with high degree of competency in Excel/Google Sheets, BI software (Looker, Microsoft BI, Tableau) and other analytical tools [this will be tested, do not apply if you do not have these skills]
- Critical Thinker: Very strong ability to structure problems and drive towards solutions even in ambiguous situations
- Entrepreneurial Spirit with qualities of being able to work independently and figure things out with innovative thinking, problem-solving skills and presence of mind.
- Track record of success in their role e.g. fast promotion, demonstrable experience in exceeding results in their role
- Ambitious, works hard and works smart (efficiently) wants to supercharge their professional development
- Excellent communication skills able to distill information and understand the way to communicate to different audiences to get results
- Demonstrates humility
- Passionate about working with rural, off-grid consumers and resolving their issues.
- Driven by the social mission to provide energy to consumers and employment to rural communities. Should be a values driven individual.
We are looking for someone who is driven, passionate and excited about the opportunity to bring honest, affordable, energy to homes in Africa and Asia. If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you.
Greenlight Planet offers competitive compensation, annual performance reviews, weekly professional development chats, a fun, supportive work environment, free lunch, medical insurance, workplace accident scheme, and opportunities for continued professional career growth within a fast-growing global enterprise.
Greenlight Planet believes in equal opportunity for all people: We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, HIV/AIDS status, or disability.