The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates seeks an Oyo Coordinator to support a family planning project under SHOPS Plus. SHOPS Plus is USAID’s flagship initiative in private sector health. The project seeks to harness the full potential of the private sector and catalyze public-private engagement to improve health outcomes in TB, family planning, HIV/AIDS, maternal and child health, and other health areas. In Nigeria, SHOPS Plus will capacitate public and private providers to scale up family planning, including Long Acting Reversible Contraceptives (LARCs) in Oyo and Akwa Ibom States.
The Oyo Coordinator will support implementation of a family planning services expansion project that will increase the number of qualified providers in public and private sector healthcare facilities who are capable of providing high quality voluntary family planning services.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the FP Technical Director to plan and implement public and private sector FP programs in Oyo
- Work closely with state FP focal persons to develop and implement detailed action plans for activities in Oyo
- Provide inputs for the development and review of technical resource materials (e.g. training materials, RH/FP plans, strategy documents, job aids) and programming tools to support meeting project objectives
- Maintain excellent working relationships with and serve as the main liaison among communities, facilities, local and state government authorities in Oyo
- Coordinate with other relevant USAID state programmes and FP partners to strengthen state level collaborations and improve efficiency of implementation
- Supervise Oyo Program Officers in expanding training and supportive supervison for FP in the public and private sector
- Provide administrative leadership for program staff in Oyo
- Coordinate state level communication, advocacy and knowledge management tasks including documentation
- Contribute to the Activity Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning system
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites:
- Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), Bachelor’s (BS) or Master’s (MS) degree in health management, public health, health administration, or other relevant field
- Ten years (BS) or eight years (MS) of relevant work experience, especially in RH/FP programs
- Extensive knowledge of the Nigerian public and private health sectors
- Experience with public and private sector health service delivery at the state and/or local government level
- Ability to write technical papers and reports
- Strong abilities to coordinate capacity building activities, training and workshops
- Experience working on USAID funded projects is preferred
- Computer skills in MS Windows, Excel, Word
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and documentation skills
- Ability to anticipate and solve problems
- Familiarity with different sociocultural and developmental issues related to RH/FP in Nigeria and the international community; familiarity with community engagement approach
- Ability to travel within and outside the state approximately 50% of the time
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.